Saturday, October 6, 2012

The Sixth Rule: "Magic reveals."

"So, really," I said, "what was that man in the park?"

"Do you really want to know?" Knave asked. We were sitting on a bus bench and I was trying to feel the tingle again in my arms, though it wasn't quite working out.

"Yes," I said. "Was he magic?"

Knave laughed. "No," he said. "A person can't be magic, they can do magic. But that man isn't a person and has no need for magic in the first place. And he has many names, most of them names that nobody remembers. The name most call him by now is simply 'the Slender Man.'"

"If he's not a person," I said, "what is he?"

"You've seen beneath the thin skin of reality," Knave said, "but this goes deeper. This goes much deeper."

"I want to know," I said.

"Alright," Knave said and jumped up. "Let's go."

"Go where?" I asked.

"Magic will reveal all," he said. "That's what magic does: it reveals. So come along now." He started walking, then turned and walked in the opposite direction.

I followed.

No comments:

Post a Comment